Teaching your Dog to Walk with a Leash on
Do you own a dog? If you do, no matter which breed it is, it is essential for you to make sure that you took proper care to ensure that it remains within your control. This is particularly true if you are out for a stroll with your dog. No matter how obedient your pet is, at the end of the day, it is a beast. You never know when it gets intimidated and acts in a hostile manner, which can lead to fatal consequences. This is why it is important for you to make sure that you are teaching your dog to walk on a leash.
If you have a leash tied around the neck of your dog, in that case, you will be having full control of it, besides, there are various other benefits that you can get by having a leash tied on your dog.
Have you never tried a leash before? Are you wondering on how to Teach your Dog to walk on a leash on? in that case, you will find the following section of this article to be quite interesting and informative.
Teaching your dog to walk with a leash on.Few important things you need to know before you start.
If your dog is not used to a leash, in that case, it would be a new experience for him. Therefore, there are a couple of important aspects which you need to take care of. In this section, you will be offered a few useful tips which you can find to be quite useful during the process of training your dog to walk with a leash. Those who have no idea on teaching your dog to walk with a leash on would find the following points to be quite useful.
- Before you start training your dog with a leash on, the first thing that you need to ensure is that you found him an appropriate and suitable collar that would easily fit properly. Besides, you also need to find a suitable leash for him.
- During the initial phases, to entice the dog and to make the process of putting on the leash around him easy, you need to pamper him with some treats. You need to remember that this is the first time he would be having a leash around his neck. Therefore, it is quite natural that he would be a bit apprehensive towards the entire process.
- One of the most important things which you need to do is to praise your dog when it obeys you. At times, putting a leash around the neck of a dog can be quite difficult. However, once you have achieved it, make sure you patted him on his back and praised him for being obedient.
Teaching your dog to walk with a leash on. the important steps you need to know.
Here comes the most important part. In this section, you will be offered a detailed account of the procedure that you need to follow Teaching your Dog to Walk with a Leash on
- Make sure to keep the sessions short: If your dog or puppy has never experienced a leash, in that case, it would be the best thing to start with short sessions. Usually, the best idea would be to teach your dog to walk on your left side. However, if you want to keep it on your right-hand side, even then it is ok. However, the best thing for you to do would be to teach your dog to be on one side, either on your left or right.
- Pulling is not the best of things to do: This is one common mistake that most dog owners make while training their dogs with a leash for the first time. You need to make sure that you’re not pulling your pet. You need to be encouraging your dog to have the leash around its neck. It is quite natural that he would show signs of resistance. This is particularly true for those, who have never had an experience with a leash on. You need to be very polite and kind with your dog and most importantly, you need to have a lot of patience. If you are lucky, and your dog is super obedient, in that case, things might happen quite easily for you. However, in the case of big dogs like Labradors, German Shepherds, and Hounds, things can get a bit tough and painstaking for you. However, no matter how long it takes and how much effort you need to put in, at the end of the day, you will be able to successfully get the leash around his neck. Once you have achieved your goal, do not forget to reward your dog. This is a very important aspect of the entire process. Your dog would remember that if he puts on the leash, he would be treated with his favorite snacks. From next time, you don’t have to put in much of an effort.
- Teach him to walk alongside: Once you have managed to successfully put the leash on, the next and the most important thing which you need to do is to teach your dog to walk by your side. As long as he didn’t have any leash, he must have behaved the way he felt like; running away from you chasing street dogs, barking at strangers, and doing all sorts of things that would have raised the red flags for you. Now that you have a leash to control your dog, you need to make sure that it is walking by your side. A couple of tips that can help you achieve this.
- Keeping the leash short can help you have better control over your dog, and prevent it from running away from you.
- Luring the dog with some treat to be by your side it’s not a bad idea.
- Dogs love to be pampered. The best way to make them listen to you is by praising them and pampering them. Before you set off for a stroll with him, a little bit of pat on the back can make a world of difference.
These are some of the basic things which you need to take care of while you are Teaching your Dog to Walk with a Leash on
It also needs to be mentioned in this regard that every year, hundreds of incidents are being reported in the United States where people get injured or bitten by dogs. If this happens with you, in that case, you can be up for big trouble. Therefore, to ensure your safety and as well as the safety of your dog, make sure that you had a leash around his neck.