Do you already have a dog? Are you planning to bring in a kitten? Are you wondering on introducing a kitten to your dog? If that’s what has been bothering you, in that case, you will find the following section of this article to be quite interesting.
Dogs and cats have never been the best of pals. How many times you have seen these two animals fighting on the street? There has been a natural rivalry between them, ever since these two species of animal came into the existence.
However, do you know that it is possible to arrange for peaceful coexistence for both dogs and cats? Are you an animal lover? If you are, in that case, you’d like to have both of them at your house.
It would offer you few useful tips which can help you in creating a healthy relationship and bondage between kittens and dogs. However, first things first. The most important thing which you need to do is to introduce the kitten to your dog. This would form the stepping stone of the relationship.
Few things you need to take care of on introducing a kitten to your dog
There are a couple of important aspects that need to be taken into consideration on how to introduce a kitten to a dog. in the following section, you will be offered a few tips, which you might find to be useful in making them good mates. If you are thinking on introducing a kitten to your dog, go through the following section.
- Arrange for a separate room for your kitten: The first thing which you need to do is to make sure that your kitten is kept in a separate room. The idea behind this is to allow both your pets to get used to their presence. They would smell new things, hear new sounds, and would gradually start getting accustomed to the existence of a new animal. This step is very important if your dog is very hostile by nature.
- Given the natural rivalry between the two, if you straight away bring them together, it can prove to be quite fatal, especially for the kitten. Therefore, the first thing which you need to do is to try and melt the ice and help them get used to each other’s presence.
- The feeding time is very important: You need to make sure that during the early stages, you are feeding both your cat and kitten at the same time. However, as mentioned, for at least the first week, you need to feed them in separate rooms. However, after one week you can bring the dishes closer to each other, and see how things turn up. This is one phase, which you need to be very attentive and careful and keep a very close eye on how things are going.
- A good first impression is very important: The first impression is always not the last one, however, it does make a difference. Especially when it comes to animals, they can’t judge another individual in terms of its nature and other characteristic traits. Therefore, no matter how nice polite, and obedient your dog is, if the first impression with the kitten is not a good one, in that case, chances are very remote that they would end up being good friends, let alone a peaceful coexistence.
- Your dog needs to be obedient: As much as you love your dog, you need to accept that when it comes to a relationship between a kitten and a dog, it’s your dog who would invariably start the fight. Therefore, as the owner, it is your responsibility to make sure that your dog obeys your command. As long as you have a dog that is obedient and listens to you, the chances are that they might not get involved in a fight and result in something fatal.
- Maintain a distance between them: When you first bring them face to face, you need to make sure that you maintained a safe distance between the two. This is the time, you need to observe their body language and how they are reacting to each other’s presence. As mentioned, it is the dog who is most likely to make the first move of aggression. One of the most telling signs that your dog is not quite enjoying the presence of the kitten is frequent barking and growling.
- On the other hand, if you find your dog being indifferent towards the presence of a kitten, or moving his tail, this is a sign that he is eager to accept his new friend. As far as the kitten is concerned, you need to be a bit overprotective towards her. If they ever got into a fight, it is the kitten who is going to get injured, which at times can be life-threatening.
- Body language is important: As mentioned, you need to observe their body language very closely. As an observer, you will be able to easily figure out whether they’re liking uh those presents are there feeling intimidated.
- Arrange for supervised visits: After a week or two, when they have got accustomed to each other’s presence, and are not showing any signs of hostility towards each other, it is time for you to arrange for supervised visits. Get them close to each other and be there as long as they are together. According to studies, if proper introduction methods are followed, as mentioned, then the chances are most likely that both of them would get along with each other.
As far as the supervised visit is concerned, it needs to be continued for at least one week. After a week, if you find that things are easygoing, and there are no signs of rivalry between the two, then you can pat your back for getting your mission accomplished. It needs to be mentioned in this regard that when it comes to introducing a kitten to a dog, it can be quite painstaking and a long process; however, it can also be very enjoyable and fun. You would get to learn a lot about their behavioral traits, emotions, and various other aspects related to their nature. Now that you know how to introduce a kitten to a dog, you can give it a try.