Few useful things you need to know about Treating your Dog’s Wound.
It is said that a dog is the best companion a man can have. And how true the statement is! You will not find someone as loyal a friend like a dog.
If you have a dog, in that case, you can feel the emotional attachment you have with the beast. After an entire day of work at the office, you feel desperate to get back home to spend some time with him. This is how special dogs can be.
However, it needs to be mentioned in this regard that having a dog comes with lots of responsibilities. You need to make sure that you have taken proper care of their health and at the same time offered them the right medical treatment whenever required.
Few useful things you need to know about Treating your Dog’s Wound
Most of the dogs are restless in nature. This could cause different kinds of injuries, which at times can be quite severe. This is where your part comes in. You need to make sure that his injuries are treated properly so that he can recover quickly and get back to his normal life. When it comes to treating the injuries of a dog, it can be a tricky and complicated process. There are certain important things which you need to know. In the following section of this article, you will be offered a couple of tips, which you might find to be useful when it comes to treating the injuries of a dog. Cleaning your dog’s wound properly is very important. Not quite sure how to clean a dog wound? The following section would offer you some useful insight.
Take him to a vet.
If you had sustained an injury, in that case, would you try and fix it by yourself? Or would you rush to your nearest clinic? Of course, you’d prefer to get treated by an expert! The same thing applies to your dog. In case of serious injuries, it is always advisable to take him to a vet. However, when it comes to minor injuries, those can be taken care of by you at home. However, in certain cases, an expert’s intervention is required. These are some of the different types of injuries where you need to take your dog to a vet for proper treatment.
- Any type of injury that has fully penetrated through the skin of your dog. It could be a result of a deep laceration or a bite wound.
- When your dog has sustained an injury that involves a considerably large portion of its body, in that case, you need to rush to the nearest vet.
- Dog skin is quite sensitive. At times, when they sustain injuries, they tend to develop puss and the skin around the area turns puffy and red. This is a telling sign, and if kept unattended, it could lead to septic. The moment you notice any such signs, you need to make sure that you are on your way to the nearest vet clinic.
Even if your dog has sustained minor injuries, you need to make sure that it is dealt with properly. If kept unattended, in that case, chances of infection are quite high. The reason why treatment should be started immediately is that there are chances of infection to spread and cause further damage, which can even be life-threatening. A vet knows how to clean a dog wound.
Treating dog injuries at home – Few useful things you need to know about Treating your Dog’s Wound
As mentioned, on certain occasions, when the injury is not too severe, they can be treated at home. However, you would require few supplies and equipment to offer the best treatment to your dog. In the following section, you will be offered a brief insight into some of the different types of equipment and supplies that you would require to treat your dog’s injury.
- You would require electric Clippers, that can include any disposable razors and scissors.
- KY Jelly or any lubricant that is water-based is required. It needs to be mentioned that using Vaseline is not at all recommended.
- You need to have warm water ready.
- A piece of a clean towel, or multiple pieces of clean clothes or paper.
- You need to ensure that you have a good antiseptic solution handy.
- It is also a good idea to have an antimicrobial ointment.
Few Useful things you need to know about Treating your Dog’s Wound at Home- The Important Steps.
This is the most important part when it comes to treating your dog’s injuries at home. There are a couple of steps that you need to be aware of. There as follows.
- If your dog is small in size, then place him on a counter or a table. In the case of big dogs, make them lie on the floor. If necessary, ask a second person who could gently restrain the dog and also use a muzzle.
- The next important thing which you need to do is to clip the hair around the end area. If the area is not covered with hair, in that case, this step is not required.
- The next thing which you need to do is to wash the area with warm water to clean all the debris and germs. Once the warm water is applied properly, you need to pat dry with a dry, clean towel or a piece of cloth.
- The next thing that you need to do is to apply antiseptic solutions to the affected area. There are many antiseptic solutions available in the market, Chlorhexidine is the most popular one, and has proven to be quite effective and also readily available. Another good option would be the Povidone-iodine solution.
- In this step, you need to apply the ointment to the area gently. It is important to mention in this regard that you need to avoid those ointments that contain hydrocortisone or other kinds of corticosteroids.
- After the ointment has been applied, you need to make sure that your dog refrains from wiping or licking the area,
- Make sure to clean the infected area with a good antiseptic solution at least two to three times a day.
- If the wound doesn’t get healed, rush to the nearby vet clinic.
These are some of the basic things that you need to know on how to clean a dog wound. If you want your dog to live its full life expectancy and you wish to enjoy its company, in that case, you need to make sure that you have taken every possible measure to ensure its physical well-being.